Whether you be a stay-at-home-momma or a jet-setting woman who works long hours, find yourself a morning routine that works for you and your schedule.
I’ve found that having a few hours to myself before the kiddo wakes up is my sanity-maker. I wake up when the hubs leaves for work (5:45am AGH!) and immediately start my day. If you’ve looked at my daily/weekly schedule, you would see that my morning routine consists of:
- Shower / Dress to Shoes
- Tidy Bathroom
- One Load of Laundry
- Make Bed
- Empty Dishwasher
- Morning Panda Planner
- Are clutter spots tidy?
- What is for dinner?
- E-mail / Jewelry / Social Media
This looks like a giant freaking list, doesn’t it? IT TAKES NO TIME AT ALL. Seriously, when I started doing this I realized it started my day off on the right foot and set the tone for what I planned on accomplishing further on down the line.
- Shower / Dress to Shoes – My biggest hindrance was not performing this action. Before I started planning my day, I would wake up, roll out of bed, and start a pot of coffee. I would still be in PJs by the time Caroline took her noon nap. I put off going to the Post Office to deliver jewelry BECAUSE I WASN’T READY TO LEAVE THE HOUSE before the mail carrier took all the packages at 2:15pm so I just procrastinated until the next day. Lame.
- Tidy Bathroom – On Fridays, I clean the inside of my shower with a vinegar/Dawn soap mixture while I’m showering. Every day, I squeegee off the water from the glass when I’m done. After I’ve done my hair and make-up (this doesn’t happen everyday, honestly), I put everything away where it goes, wipe down countertops and grab laundry from the night before to start a load.
- One Load of Laundry – I start a load of laundry and remove yesterday’s laundry from the dryer. This would work better if I actually completed a load of laundry in one day but I digress. I fold/hang-up and put away laundry from the day before.
- Make Bed – I head back to my room to make the bed. Yes, with the fancy pillows. This way, every time I walk into my room to put something up, I feel a sense of accomplishment from having a flashy bed. It really does make me feel like a bad ass.
- Exercise – I’ve been counting my deep cleaning as exercise. I am on my feet for about 10 hours a day taking care of business so if anyone wants to tell me I’m not getting my allotted exercise in, I’ll punch them in the 6-pack. Once my home is in order, I will start an actual exercise regimen.
- Empty Dishwasher – Onto the kitchen! I empty out the dishwasher from the night before. Since I keep up with this on a daily basis, it takes seconds.
- Morning Panda Planner – So my SIL gave me a Panda Planner and it’s seriously the best calendar / planner on the market in my opinion. You can find it on Amazon and there are several reviews and “How-To-Use” videos online. I love it. I plan my day and write down goals I wish to accomplish. This helps me stay on track. I place the planner at my command center (which I describe in detail here.)
- Are clutter spots tidy? I check the spots of my house where I know clutter seems to frequently accumulate and clean off if needed.
- What is for dinner? Since I made a dinner plan last week, I can easily begin to defrost the protein and prep anything that needs to be done.
- E-mail/Jewelry/Social Media – Here I spend 30 minutes or so checking emails that came in overnight, fulfill jewelry orders and post on social media. Facebook is my time-killer and caused me from accomplishing a lot of goals. I began limiting my use to the morning and only give myself a few minutes to check my notifications after I accomplish a daily goal.
So that’s it. 10 easy steps to getting my morning off on the right foot. I’m done with this by 7:00am and I can check off 10 items on my daily schedule. Getting this accomplished every morning energizies me to complete the other tasks I’ve set for myself. I will never not have a morning routine again.
I would love to hear about it if you decide to incorporate a morning routine into your daily tasks. What works for you? What doesn’t?
I started a Facebook group for us to get together and discuss and I would absolutely love to see you there!